Saturday, August 11, 2012

Refelction on the Boys and Girls Club-Oxford

I'm not sure that anyone is ever really prepared to work with kids for nine hours a day, five days a week. And I don't think anyone really knows what to expect. I know that I was not prepared, and the way this summer went was not the way I expected it would go. For starters I thought that as Vistas we would be spending more time working on a reading program for the Boys and Girls club. I did not expect to have about 30 8-9 year girls to myself in the afternoons every day. But since the Club received a grant that would get them a reading program starting in the fall we weren't needed to work on that. Everyday it was my job to keep the girls entertained and busy. we would go on walks, go to the park, play games, and my personal favorite arts and crafts. These girls could probably spend all day in the Art room if we let them. Well that and dancing. All they wanted was some speakers and an Ipod, and they were set for the day. All summer they would work on their dance routines for the Talent Show that is held on the last day of the summer program. Watching them practice, make up their dances, and change their songs every day was quite entertaining. They were having fun, which was great to see. They loved it too when the staff would come in and start dancing the Cha Cha with them. But it wasn't all fun and games.
I definitely struggled with trying to gain respect from the girls, and just trying to work with them. Even though I had worked with some of them during the school year, I struggled trying take charge. I admit that the first two weeks were brutal, and I had gone home crying and venting to my friends. Because I just couldn't understand why it was so hard for me to just get them to listen to me! There were defiantly days where all I wanted to do was give up, but I knew I couldn't, because I gave my word to be there, and well I am just too stubborn to give up. Besides what would that have shown the girls? It would have made it seem like I didn't care to be there or care about them. And I think it was important for us to be there everyday, the kids all noticed if someone didn't show up at the club. Over time I could tell I was able to gain respect from the girls, and we were able to work together, of course there were the few that would test you, and try to cause trouble, but the biggest thing for me to remember was that they were just kids. This summer was a challenge for me, physically, mentally and emotionally. But I feel like I learned a lot, especially about myself. I had to learn on being patient, and just learning to not let the little things get to me. Working with kids isn't easy, but I know I could do it, and that whenever I do I will constantly be using what I learn while working with them.
At the end of the day though, no matter how hard, there was always at least one girl that would come up and give me a hug. They were just kids, and no matter how "mean" they may say that you are, they still just want someone to care and give them a hug, And I feel that not just me, but all of us Vistas at the Club showed these kids that we do care, and that we are there for them.
-Amber Scullion

No comments:

Post a Comment